Why Are My Family Members Constantly Sick?

In the past, it was never a big concern when someone in the family had a cold or even came down with the flu or a respiratory infection. We all chalked it up to the change in weather or a bug that was being passed around at school or the office. However, in the current climate, we are all more tuned into our loved ones’ health and everyone around them. So it becomes very concerning when you find that your family members are constantly battling some bug or heath issue that has them sneezing, coughing, and rubbing red, swollen eyes. At first, you might think that it is just seasonal allergies, but that can be easily eliminated as time passes and the issues remain. But did you ever think that a small water leak hidden deep in your home could be the cause of all of your health problems?

Mold, Mildew, And Water Leaks

Mold and mildew are both in the fungus family. And that means they need a few specific things to live. The first is an ideal temperature range which is between 41 and 104 degrees. Unfortunately, your home is sure to fall into that broad range. The second essential item that fungus needs is food. And again, that is not good news because most of the building materials and finishes in your home are perfect for sustaining this nasty fungus. Everything from wood and cardboard to paint, fabric, and drywall can make a wonderful meal for mold fungus. Fortunately, most homes do not have the moisture or high humidity needed to support the requirement of these fungi.

But when you have a water leak concealed in the walls, floor, or ceiling of your home, you create the perfect trifecta that allows a mold infestation to flourish. That leaking water, even just a few drips a minute, is all that it takes for mold to get a foothold. In just 24 hours, your home can be infested with mold spores that create all kinds of health issues for you and your loved ones.

Mold Is The Big Deal

While mildew is far more common, it is much less likely to cause health issues. It is the lesser of the two fungi and can be wiped out with a rag and some bleach or vinegar solution. The white powdery substance can sometimes be found on the grout or tile in your shower if you have not been diligent about cleaning and disinfecting. But in just a few minutes, it can be eliminated.

Mold is not going to give up so easily. This fungus is thicker and not at all powdery. It forms a thicker coating and can range from deep green or black to a vivid red. The spores of mold are far more concerning than those of mildew. When humans or pets inhale these spores, there are often many symptoms ranging from mildly annoying to life-threatening.

Knowing The Signs Of A Mold Spore Reaction

If you cannot figure out why your family always appears ill, look for the following symptoms:

  • Red, itchy, swollen eyes
  • Nose and throat irritation
  • Coughing and sneezing
  • Sinus congestion and pressure
  • Upper or lower respiratory infections that do not subside
  • A skin rash
  • Unexplained fatigue
  • Fever
  • Trouble breathing

All of these are signs of exposure to toxic black mold spores. Let your medical professional know to test for these allergens.

In addition, at the first indication of a hidden water leak in your Brighton home, call (720) 740-0452. The leak detection experts at Royal Services Plumbing will arrive quickly to locate any leaks and inform you of any toxic mold contamination causing unexplained health issues.