Signs Of A Potentially Life-Threatening Gas Leak Inside Your Home

Protecting your family and loved ones is an around-the-clock job. But most people believe they can let their guard down more when they are in the comfort of their own home. However, the perception of complete safety provided by your home can lull you into a false sense of security. One of the most harmful occurrences in your home, a gas leak, is silent and difficult to distinguish unless you know some subtle signs that there is trouble in your house. Common indications of a gas leak include:

Dead Plants Are A Dead Giveaway

Because the gas lines in your home are concealed in the house’s structure, you are not likely to see the fine grey mist of a gas leak. But what you will see is a severe decline in the health of your plants. Indoor plants are very susceptible to carbon dioxide poisoning, which occurs when there is a gas leak in your home. The oxygen that plants need to live, just like humans, is replaced by gas. As a result, your plants will begin to suffer from oxygen deprivation, wilt, and whither. When you notice several dead plants in your home, call a licensed plumber immediately to check for a gas leak.

The Odor Of Sulfur Or Rotten Eggs

Gas is colorless and odorless in its natural state. However, gas providers add an inert chemical to the gas for safety purposes. The chemical adds an odor of sulfur or natural gas so that homeowners know there is a gas leak. The smell is unique and would not be present in your home under normal circumstances. If you or a loved one notice this pungent odor, evacuate your home immediately, taking your pets with you. Then call for emergency assistance when everyone is a safe distance from the house. Never return to the house for any reason until a licensed plumber has inspected your home and deemed it free of any gas leaks.

An Odd Hissing Sound

When there is a gas leak at the connection to your gas oven, stove, water heater, or dryer, you could hear an odd hissing sound when near the appliance. You could also begin to smell the sulfur odor in the same area. Don’t try to move the machine to investigate as an errant spark could cause an explosion or fire. Instead, evacuate your pets and loved ones and call for professional assistance.

Unexplained Health Issues

When there is a gas leak in your home, the air will become saturated by the gas. When this occurs, you, your loved ones, and even your pets will begin to suffer oxygen deprivation. If you know the common symptoms, you can quickly recognize oxygen deprivation. Common indications include:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Trouble breathing
  • Red, watery eyes
  • Throat irritation
  • Fatigue
  • Children and pets can appear lethargic or confused

If you notice any of these signs in your loved ones, evacuate your home and call for emergency assistance. Get everyone outside in fresh air and remain outside your home until you are told it has been inspected and the gas leak has been found and repaired.

When Evacuating Your Home Due To A Gas Leak

As you are getting everyone out of your home, leave doors and windows open if possible to reduce the gas build-up. Also, if there is a gas shut-off valve outside your home, turn off the gas. But never go back inside to open windows or shut off the gas.

Call (720) 740-0452 for emergency gas leak service. The licensed plumbers at Royal Services are here 24/7 to assist you.